Lake in foreground with overhanging tree. Building in background.

University of Roehampton

51.455139762825, -0.24507888993531



Roehampton Lane
SW15 5PJ

Open Maps

Type of support available

  • Accessible learning space
  • Adapted accomodation
  • Campus tours
  • Specialist knowledge within disability service
  • Support available from academic staff
  • Specialist groups or disabled students network

Advice and Support

Funding for an SpLD assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) support with a Specialist teacher through the University?

All enrolled students can attend a free screening with a specialist member of the team. If there are positive indicators of SpLD, you will be put forward for a full diagnostic assessment, with a student contribution of £100.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

All students can book an appointment with a Disability Adviser to discuss their needs at any point in their course (including pre-entry). Disability Advisers offer specialist advice tailored to your needs and can advise on accessing funding and reasonable adjustments for your course. To do this, we request medical/diagnostic evidence from you.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University? How do students access this advice and support?

We encourage students to engage with the central Disability Service to create a Summary of Adjustments (SoA) to be shared with your department. There is also a designated Departmental Disability Coordinator (DDC) for each academic department who can support you.

Staff continuity and understanding individual needs

Are the specialist disability staff in the team able to offer a personalised, bespoke response to a student’s needs? Where possible, is continuity provided for the student in meeting the same Disability Adviser and/or mentor so the student can get to know them over time?

Disability Advisers work with students to complete a Summary of Adjustments, relevant to your needs. You may have contact with different advisers (for example, at a drop-in or via email), but the team will always try to maintain continuity of support where possible.

One to one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

The University provides in-house Specialist Mentors and Study Skills Tutors as part of support funded by Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). There is also a Wellbeing Team, made up of Student Wellbeing Officers, Mental Health Advisors and Counsellors. The University has also run an optional peer mentoring scheme for first year students.

One to one / group study skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

The Disability Service supports students to arrange their DSA Specialist 1:1 Study Skills. There is also a range of study support material on Moodle and available in the library for all students to access. This includes 1:1 ‘drop-in’ support or group workshops with the Academic Achievement team.

Students can also access 24/7 study support through Studiosity.

Social and Peer Support

Specialist support groups

Are there specialist support groups or a disabled students network available at the University?

There is a Roehampton Students’ Union Disability Officer, and a range of inclusive clubs and societies for students to join.

Clubs and societies

Are there opportunities provided by the institution’s Students Union, Student Support service or Wellbeing service to take part in inclusive and accessible clubs and societies?

There is a comprehensive range of student clubs and societies on offer through Roehampton Students’ Union (RSU).

The Wellbeing and Chaplaincy teams also offer a range of activities, which have included yoga classes, Coffee and Mental Health, Wellbeing Hour, Tea and Toast.


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

There is a range of accessible and adapted accommodation. More details can be found on the Roehampton Accommodation website.

We recommend visiting the campus to view accommodation options, where possible. If you require specialist equipment or support in accommodation, please contact the Disability Service at the earliest opportunity to discuss your needs.

Assistive Technology

Does the institution offer a standard level of assistive technology to disabled students?

The University has a range of assistive technology on all networked computers. This includes:

  • Mind View
  • ClaroRead

The University also has a subscription to the following services

  • Sensus Access
  • Caption.Ed

COVID-19 support

How has your Disability Support offer changed in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? Are in person appointments currently suspended? If prospective applicants would like to register with the Disability Service, how do they go about doing this currently?

The following services can be offered by phone/video:

  • Disability Adviser appointments
  • Screening for Specific Learning Difference (SpLD)
  • Specialist Mentoring
  • 1:1 Study Skills Tutoring
  • DSA Needs Assessments

Prospective applicants can contact on: [email protected] or call 0208 392 3636