Gentleman smiling in white t-shirt and jacket, centre of image in front of ornamental gate which is slightly blurred.

University of Greenwich



Avery Hill - Southwood Site

Open Maps

Type of support available

  • Accessible learning space
  • Adapted accomodation
  • Campus tours
  • Specialist knowledge within disability service
  • Support available from academic staff
  • Specialist groups or disabled students network

Advice and Support

Funding for an SpLD assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) support with a Specialist teacher through the University?

Funding is available for students needing to seek a full diagnostic assessment, following a screening appointment at the University with the Disability and Dyslexia (D&D) Coordinators in Student Wellbeing Service.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

There are Disability and Dyslexia Coordinators in each campus: Greenwich, Medway, and Avery Hill. They are part of the Student Wellbeing Service.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University? How do students access this advice and support?

Each faculty/professional service has at least one Disability Named Contact (DNC) that act as the first point of contact for disability related queries and concerns. Students are made aware of the DNCs during induction and in appointments with the D&D Coordinators. 

Staff continuity and understanding individual needs

Are the specialist disability staff in the team able to offer a personalised, bespoke response to a student’s needs? Where possible, is continuity provided for the student in meeting the same Disability Adviser and/or mentor so the student can get to know them over time?

The D&Ds, in discussion with the students and using relevant medical evidence and/or diagnostic reports, write Greenwich Inclusion Plans (GIPs) which outline reasonable adjustments and exam arrangements that students require to ensure that they can fully access their course and the services available at the University. The GIP is shared with staff on a need to know basis. 

As mentioned above each campus has a D&D coordinator, where possible the students will see the same person during their studies.

One to one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

The Student Wellbeing Service also consists of Mental Health Coordinators, Counselling Coordinators and Psychological Wellbeing Coordinators. Appointments are available for students. 

University students can also access support for mental health, 24 hours, 365 days a year via Spectrum Life.

The University offers disabled students transition to University support. This can be arranged via a unique Student Ambassador Initiative. Further information can be found about this on the University’s website.

One to one / group study skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

The D&Ds work closely with the University’s Academic Skills Team. This team provides group and one to one academic support to all students.

Social and Peer Support

Specialist support groups

Are there specialist support groups or a disabled students network available at the University?

The University offers Disabled Students’ Network – meetings are chaired by the senior members of the Student & Academic Services directorate.

Clubs and societies

Are there opportunities provided by the institution’s Students Union, Student Support service or Wellbeing service to take part in inclusive and accessible clubs and societies?

The Greenwich Student Unions (GSU) has a range of clubs and societies such as the Liberation Group for Disabilities. Members of the GSU are available to give advice about specific accessibility queries and concerns.


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

Students are encouraged to liaise with Accommodation Services as early as possible to discuss adaptations required to their halls of residence or if additional equipment is required.

Assistive Technology

Does the institution offer a standard level of assistive technology to disabled students?

The University has Read and Write (text to speech), Inspiration (mind mapping) available on the University network. 

Dragon Naturally Speaking (speech to text), Sonocent Audio Notetaker and My Study Bar are also available upon request.

Assistive technology can be used for examination support for students that require exam arrangements. 

COVID-19 support

How has your Disability Support offer changed in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? Are in person appointments currently suspended? If prospective applicants would like to register with the Disability Service, how do they go about doing this currently?

The Student Wellbeing Service is offering a blended service – in person and remotely via TEAMS. 

For prospective students to register or speak to a D&D, they need to contact us via email [email protected] or call 0208 331 7875  

Student's Insights

  • Meet Brad

    Discover more about STAART at Greenwich with Brad who studied an undergraduate course in Biology and is now a PhD Student.