Sunny day overlooking red-brick building to left, large tree centre foreground and sports pitch behind the tree.

Royal Holloway, University of London

51.425389577566, -0.56319681849363



TW20 0EX

Open Maps

Type of support available

  • Accessible learning space
  • Adapted accomodation
  • Campus tours
  • Specialist knowledge within disability service
  • Support available from academic staff
  • Specialist groups or disabled students network

Advice and Support

Funding for an SpLD assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) support with a Specialist teacher through the University?

We offer a screening service for students who suspect they may have a specific learning difficulty (SpLD) or for those that have had exam access arrangements in school or college but do not have a diagnosis of a SpLD.  Following this we can refer for a full diagnostic assessment.  Currently we are able to cover the cost of a diagnostic assessment, however, please be aware that this may be subject to change in the future. 

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

The Disability & Dyslexia Team are able to provide specialist support for all disabled students.  Students are able to meet with an adviser through daily drop-ins or make an appointment.  These services can be offered ‘in person’ or online. 

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University? How do students access this advice and support?

Within each school and department, we have named contacts (Disability & Dyslexia Service Network Members) who are able to provide advice and support to disabled students.  This support can be accessed through the School Helpdesk or a student’s personal tutor. 

Staff continuity and understanding individual needs

Are the specialist disability staff in the team able to offer a personalised, bespoke response to a student’s needs? Where possible, is continuity provided for the student in meeting the same Disability Adviser and/or mentor so the student can get to know them over time?

The Disability & Dyslexia Service has a small team of advisers who get to know registered students well.  They are trained to provide personalised support and are able to respond to the needs of all students with a disability.

The Disability & Dyslexia Service are a provider of DSA funded specialist mentoring. Wherever possible, a student will remain with the same specialist mentor throughout their studies.  

One to one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

The Disability & Dyslexia Service run a student helper scheme which can offer a buddy to help new disabled students settle in, please email if you would like to arrange this.    

This year all new undergraduate students will be allocated a peer mentor from their department to help with settling in.  Your peer mentor will make contact with you before the start of your course. 

The university also has a counselling service, further details can be found on this website

One to one / group study skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

The university is a provider of DSA funded study skills support.  We are also happy to help students arrange their support if they have another provider. A range of study skills small group workshops are offered across the year specifically for disabled students.  

Social and Peer Support

Specialist support groups

Are there specialist support groups or a disabled students network available at the University?

The Disability & Dyslexia Service run a bi-weekly social club for disabled students.  The Student Union have a disabled student collective to represent disabled students in the university. In addition, disabled students also have a voice through the Disabled Staff & Student Working Group which meets once a term.

Clubs and societies

Are there opportunities provided by the institution’s Students Union, Student Support service or Wellbeing service to take part in inclusive and accessible clubs and societies?

All of the universities clubs and societies are designed to be inclusive and accessible for all students.  


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

The university offers a range of adapted accommodation across its halls of residence to suit all types of disability.  Student are encouraged to contact us as early as possible, so that we can arrange a viewing of the accommodation and allocate an appropriate room. 

Further details on campus accessibility can be found at AccessAble

Assistive Technology

Does the institution offer a standard level of assistive technology to disabled students?

The university has an Assistive Technology Suite which is a dedicated space for disabled students.  There are work spaces and PCs with assistive technology software available.  All Royal Holloway students have free access to Office 365 and its inbuilt accessibility features.  

COVID-19 support

How has your Disability Support offer changed in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? Are in person appointments currently suspended? If prospective applicants would like to register with the Disability Service, how do they go about doing this currently?


Due to Covid-19, we are not currently able to offer ‘in person’ appointments.  We are making plans for this resume as soon as we are safely able to so.  In the meantime, we continue to be available by email and are also able to offer online meetings through Microsoft Teams. 

We will be reviewing and updating our reasonable adjustments to take into account the flexible learning that will be offered in the next academic year. 

Students are able to register with the Disability & Dyslexia Service through our online registration form