White building with railing in foreground.

Royal Academy of Music

51.523505740803, -0.15192535185241



Marylebone Road

Open Maps

Type of support available

  • Accessible learning space
  • Adapted accomodation
  • Campus tours
  • Specialist knowledge within disability service
  • Support available from academic staff
  • Specialist groups or disabled students network

Advice and Support

Funding for an SpLD assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) support with a Specialist teacher through the University?

If you think you might have dyslexia or a neurodiversity, the Disability Adviser will carry out an initial screening and where applicable refer to an Educational Psychologist or Patoss registered assessor. If the diagnostic screen has insufficient indicators the student would receive Study Support or possibly be referred for counselling.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

The Disability Adviser (DA) holds PGDip Dyslexia -AMBDA(1999) and has been a Patoss assessor/.ADSHE. NMH tutor supporting Fdn to PhD.

RAM offers advice and practical support. The DA works alongside the senior tutors for undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. She advances accessibility and is a member of Equality Impact Assessment group. The Disability Adviser works with the Additional Learning Support Tutor who offers Study Support for all students including EU and International. This provides immediate support before being awarded the Disabled Students Allowance.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University? How do students access this advice and support?

There are key appointments for pastoral care and a Dean of Students and as a dedicated conservatoire, student there are ‘bespoke' sessions and tutorials. Tutors are accessible remotely and where required for music face to face. Tutors refer students to the Disability Adviser.

Staff continuity and understanding individual needs

Are the specialist disability staff in the team able to offer a personalised, bespoke response to a student’s needs? Where possible, is continuity provided for the student in meeting the same Disability Adviser and/or mentor so the student can get to know them over time?

Key staff keep records of the needs of  their students and are updated on developments in relation to accessibility, software and support.

The Student Services and Wellbeing Teams includes Mental Health specialists that are invaluable in assisting students. Anxiety and the working within the ‘no detriment ‘ model is vital.

There is one Disability Adviser. There is an open door policy allowing students with urgent requests and call scheduling or remote sessions as required. Continuity is ensured as there is one person.

One to one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

Mentoring on a long term basis is part of DSA, Non Medical Helpers would be requested. Advice and referral is signposted on the website and students can email or call for support. There isn’t a buddy scheme as students in smaller classes seem to have less need than in a larger organisation.

One to one / group study skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

Currently there are no Non-Medical Helpers registered tutors on site. There haven’t been any requests for smaller group sessions. An ADT supports students one to one on site-see above. Students are supported via DSA Needs Assessment recommended tutors.

Social and Peer Support

Specialist support groups

Are there specialist support groups or a disabled students network available at the University?

These do not yet exist. The SU are quite active in this field and current Equality Impact Assessment reviews may reveal there is a need but some areas have very small numbers within a musical group.

Clubs and societies

Are there opportunities provided by the institution’s Students Union, Student Support service or Wellbeing service to take part in inclusive and accessible clubs and societies?

The SU does provide social groups but the nature of a conservatoire is that students engage in collaborative musical projects and performances formally and informally and this is integral to their well being.


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

There are many options available to Academy students when choosing somewhere to live. RAM have produced guides to help students make choices, which can be found at here. Students with disabilities are prioritised in accommodation provided.

Assistive Technology

Does the institution offer a standard level of assistive technology to disabled students?

Students in receipt of DSA are offered a review of technology, hardware and software.

Free assistive technology from Jisc HE and from specialists such as Diversity & Ability are advised. Musescore is recommended and Immersive Reader is part of the University operating systems.

COVID-19 support

How has your Disability Support offer changed in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? Are in person appointments currently suspended? If prospective applicants would like to register with the Disability Service, how do they go about doing this currently?

The support offer for ‘anxiety’ has been supplemented by an increase in counsellors.

Awareness training for mental health has been undertaken by the Disability Adviser and the ADT.

Registration for the service is via email on website [email protected] or by telephoning the extension. Staff in registry or in various offices will refer by email.

The Disability Advisor works throughout the year and is not term time only.