Royal Academy of Dance

51.474738381674, -0.17560679140167



36 Battersea Square
SW11 3RA

Open Maps

Type of support available

  • Accessible learning space
  • Adapted accomodation
  • Campus tours
  • Specialist knowledge within disability service
  • Support available from academic staff
  • Specialist groups or disabled students network

Advice and Support

Funding for an SpLD assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) support with a Specialist teacher through the University?

Students can apply for £200 towards the cost of an SpLD assessment. For successful DSA applications, where students have been allocated a specialist tutor, RAD can help set this up and book a regular room to enable students to meet their tutor weekly. If, during their programme, a student identifies difficulties that may be dyslexia-related, RAD can arrange an online screening to help identify the type of support needed.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

RAD has appropriately qualified staff who are highly skilled in meeting the learning and support needs of students. Students are referred to the Student Support and Welfare Officer where they can access information on Student Support and guidance relating to physical and mental health and well-being, disability and additional learning needs on the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). They can also book appointments with the SSWO.

The Student Support Officer manages Study Support Plans for disabled students.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University? How do students access this advice and support?

Reasonable adjustments to learning and teaching are agreed by the SSWO.  Adjustments are included in the student’s Study Support Plan, agreed by the student, and shared with relevant staff and tutors. Reasonable adjustments for teaching placements are agreed between the student, the placement provider, and the RAD tutor/Practical Teaching Supervisor.

Staff continuity and understanding individual needs

Are the specialist disability staff in the team able to offer a personalised, bespoke response to a student’s needs? Where possible, is continuity provided for the student in meeting the same Disability Adviser and/or mentor so the student can get to know them over time?

All students are invited to meet the Student Support and Welfare Officer when they start at RAD, they will then meet regularly during the time as a student. Support can also be provided via video or telephone calls for students who are not based in London.

One to one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

Students can participate in a buddying scheme when they start their on-site course. The Student Support and Welfare Officer provides mentoring for students where required and information is provided on local counselling support

One to one / group study skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

The Study Skills Coordinator provides group tutorials and one-to-one support on a range of academic study-related topics. Students can seek study skills guidance directly from the study skills resources provided on the VLE and make an appointment directly with the Study Skills Coordinator. Study skills are embedded within programme delivery as part of module study tasks and group tutorials.

Social and Peer Support

Specialist support groups

Are there specialist support groups or a disabled students network available at the University?


Clubs and societies

Are there opportunities provided by the institution’s Students Union, Student Support service or Wellbeing service to take part in inclusive and accessible clubs and societies?



Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

There is no on-site accommodation for students but the RAD does provide students with a list of accommodation in the area that is used by RAD students, including private house shares, student halls, and purpose-built student apartments. Admissions staff can provide guidance.

Assistive Technology

Does the institution offer a standard level of assistive technology to disabled students?

To support study skills and those students with additional learning needs, we offer access to computer equipment with specialist assistive technology.

COVID-19 support

How has your Disability Support offer changed in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? Are in person appointments currently suspended? If prospective applicants would like to register with the Disability Service, how do they go about doing this currently?

Students are welcome to contact the Student Support and Welfare Officer by emailing [email protected]