London School of Medicine and Tropical Hygiene, outside the building.

London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

51.521068619979, -0.13032370000002



Keppel St

Open Maps

Type of support available

  • Accessible learning space
  • Adapted accomodation
  • Campus tours
  • Specialist knowledge within disability service
  • Support available from academic staff
  • Specialist groups or disabled students network

Advice and Support

Funding for an SpLD assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) support with a Specialist teacher through the University?

The Student Advice team offers a screening service for students who suspect that they may have dyslexia. The screening consists of an informal interview with the Student Adviser covering learning experiences in specific study skills areas, such as reading and writing. If this informal interview identifies areas of difficulty which are similar to a dyslexic profile, the School can then refer you on for a full diagnostic assessment with an Educational Psychologist, which is funded by the School.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

The Student Advice team contacts all students who have declared a disability at the beginning of each term to remind them to book an appointment with a Student Adviser to set up their disability support.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University? How do students access this advice and support?

Information not available. 

Staff continuity and understanding individual needs

Are the specialist disability staff in the team able to offer a personalised, bespoke response to a student’s needs? Where possible, is continuity provided for the student in meeting the same Disability Adviser and/or mentor so the student can get to know them over time?

Information not available. 

One to one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

Home students will need to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) to access funding for ‘non-medical helper’ support. Typically DSA will fund up to 30 one-hour sessions of either study skills or mentoring support for a full time academic year. It may be possible for the School to fund a limited number of sessions (up to 6) whilst students’ DSA applications are being processed by their funding body.

One to one / group study skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

See above.

Social and Peer Support

Specialist support groups

Are there specialist support groups or a disabled students network available at the University?

Information not available. 

Clubs and societies

Are there opportunities provided by the institution’s Students Union, Student Support service or Wellbeing service to take part in inclusive and accessible clubs and societies?

Information not available. 


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

University of London has a number of adapted rooms.  The rooms are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note these rooms are limited and cater for all the member institutions of the University of London.

Assistive Technology

Does the institution offer a standard level of assistive technology to disabled students?

The assistive software TextHelp Read & Write Gold, which provides literacy support, is available to all students on the School network computers. Other assistive technology available through the DSA.

COVID-19 support

How has your Disability Support offer changed in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? Are in person appointments currently suspended? If prospective applicants would like to register with the Disability Service, how do they go about doing this currently?




The information on this page has been sourced from publicly available information. (April 2021) *This page offers links to other sites enabling you to leave this website and go directly to the linked site. Aimhigher London are not responsible for the content of the site or any link in a linked site or liable for any use of or inability to use this site or the material contained in it, or from any action or decision taken as a result of using the website.