LSE Old Building

London School of Economics and Political Science

51.514143919974, -0.11695705000001



Houghton Street

Open Maps

Type of support available

  • Accessible learning space
  • Adapted accomodation
  • Campus tours
  • Specialist knowledge within disability service
  • Support available from academic staff
  • Specialist groups or disabled students network

Advice and Support

Funding for an SpLD assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) support with a Specialist teacher through the University?

If you have never been assessed for a specific learning difficulty, you can request a screening questionnaire from us, which acts as the first stage of the diagnostic process. If the results of the screening give significant indicators of a specific learning difficulty, we will refer you for a full diagnostic assessment. This service is free for all current students.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

Current students are encouraged to register with the Disability and Wellbeing Service in order to discuss your circumstances in confidence with an adviser. This will ensure we can facilitate any necessary support and adjustments whilst you study. 

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University? How do students access this advice and support?

Where appropriate we can refer you for study skills tuition. Study skills tuition is not subject specific, though it can offer students a chance to work with a tutor who has specialist knowledge of the difficulties people with an SpLD can face when studying. 

Study skills tuition is free of charge for all students, though UK students will need to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances for funding. International students should speak to their adviser about a referral.

Staff continuity and understanding individual needs

Are the specialist disability staff in the team able to offer a personalised, bespoke response to a student’s needs? Where possible, is continuity provided for the student in meeting the same Disability Adviser and/or mentor so the student can get to know them over time?

When you meet with an adviser they will talk you through the various ways in which the School can provide support and adjustments to your studies, for example we can create an Inclusion Plan (IP) to ensure that staff are aware of your circumstances and can make adjustments as needed. Such as providing teaching materials in advance, giving directed reading lists or allowing for extended library loans. IPs are created in collaboration with you, and will be discussed in detail with your adviser at your first appointment.

One to one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

Peer Supporters are available online and we would urge you to contact them to talk over any difficulties or anxieties you are having, which may of course be heightened at this strange and unprecedented time. You will find a list of available Peer Supporters here.

LSE Student Counselling Service offers a private and confidential space for you to discuss any concerns about your mental health. Our team of trained counselling professionals offer one-to-one appointments and workshops running throughout the year. 

One to one / group study skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

The student counselling service run a number of one off workshops for students. These focus on building skills and helping to support students manage the various demands of university life. 

Social and Peer Support

Specialist support groups

Are there specialist support groups or a disabled students network available at the University?

There is a disabled students network and a disabled students officer.

Clubs and societies

Are there opportunities provided by the institution’s Students Union, Student Support service or Wellbeing service to take part in inclusive and accessible clubs and societies?

LSESU is led by elected Officers including 4 full-time paid Sabbatical Officers, 1 part-time paid Sabbatical Officer and 11 voluntary Part-Time Officers.

Primary services include:

  • Student Voice - supporting our students with representation, campaigning, policy change and elections
  • Student Communities - supporting over 250+ clubs and societies and managing the gym
  • Social - running our Union events, student bar (Three Tuns) and our cafe
  • Student Advice - providing free, independent and confidential advice to our student membership


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

We've been able to find suitable accommodation for students with hearing or visual impairments, who use wheelchairs, and students with other support needs. Adjustments we've made in the past include:

  • allocate a particular location (eg closer to campus/hospitals)
  • allocate a specific room type (eg larger or en suite rooms)
  • allocate a room nearby to carer(s)
  • arrange for specific furniture (eg ergonomic bed)
  • install additional safety aids (eg flashing fire alarms)
  • allocate to a non-catered hall (eg if you have severe food allergies)

You'll also be supported by the live-in team of pastoral staff who help everyone make the most of their time at LSE.

Assistive Technology

Does the institution offer a standard level of assistive technology to disabled students?

We have specialist IT rooms on campus with access to various software programmes including text-to-speech, speech-to-text, and mind-mapping tools.

COVID-19 support

How has your Disability Support offer changed in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? Are in person appointments currently suspended? If prospective applicants would like to register with the Disability Service, how do they go about doing this currently?

Find out more about the teams, services and support here to help you as a person. All our appointments are currently taking place online and should be booked in advance, including slots to register your face mask exemption. This term you can access 24/7 out of hours support via Spectrum.Life: call 0808 189 01 03. Click here for Coronavirus FAQs for students.



The information on this page has been sourced from publicly available information. (April 2021) *This page offers links to other sites enabling you to leave this website and go directly to the linked site. Aimhigher London are not responsible for the content of the site or any link in a linked site or liable for any use of or inability to use this site or the material contained in it, or from any action or decision taken as a result of using the website.