Kingston University London

Kingston University London

51.403165619895, -0.30319155000001




Open Maps

Type of support available

  • Accessible learning space
  • Adapted accomodation
  • Campus tours
  • Specialist knowledge within disability service
  • Support available from academic staff
  • Specialist groups or disabled students network

Advice and Support

Funding for an SpLD assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) support with a Specialist teacher through the University?

We fund specific learning difference assessments for students who require this and meet our eligibility criteria. These are full diagnostic assessments for dyslexia and dyspraxia and educational identifications of AD[H]D indicators. These assessments do not provide a medical diagnosis of AD[H]D. 

We can provide this funding once you are fully enrolled on your course. We do not ask for a contribution from students and this is not means tested. 

Please contact the disability team for more information about this process.


Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

We have a number of dedicated Disability Advisors who provide specialist advice to students. We also have a team of Mental Health Advisors to provide tailored advice to students with diagnosed mental health conditions. 

Once we receive a copy of your medical evidence, we allocate a Disability or Mental Health Advisor to work with you. We will set up support and recommend reasonable adjustments based on your individual needs and are available to review this support if needed throughout your studies.


Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University? How do students access this advice and support?

Every student is allocated a Personal Tutor. It might not be a member of staff who teaches you, but should be linked to your subject. Your Tutor can support you to:

  • Prepare for assignments and assessments
  • Manage workload
  • Make progress in areas where you’d like to improve further
  • Explore ideas to help you find work

Each faculty also has an Academic Success Centre for students who would like additional advice or guidance on their research, writing or referencing skills.

Staff continuity and understanding individual needs

Are the specialist disability staff in the team able to offer a personalised, bespoke response to a student’s needs? Where possible, is continuity provided for the student in meeting the same Disability Adviser and/or mentor so the student can get to know them over time?

Once we receive a copy of your medical evidence, we will allocate a Disability or Mental Health Advisor to work on a 1:1 basis with you to provide tailored advice and support.

You are welcome to contact your named advisor at any stage throughout your studies. We are available to talk through issues that may arise and signpost you to support within the university, or externally. We can also review your support if your needs change throughout your course.

One to one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

DSA mentoring is arranged with local providers. We are able to support you throughout the DSA application process.   Our Wellbeing team offers a counselling service, a listening service, time management and stress management sessions and daily drop ins. We can arrange buddying support to help students settle in and familiarise with the university environment. 

The Head Start programme is a free scheme to prepare you for life as an undergraduate student and answer questions you may have. 

One to one / group study skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

The Disability & Mental Health Advisors are available to support students with arranging their DSA funded 1:1 Study Skills sessions. We are available to support with the DSA application process. 

We also fund 1:1 Study Skills support for students who are not eligible for the DSA (e.g. for international students).

Each faculty also has an Academic Success Centre for students who feel they would like additional advice or guidance on their research, writing or referencing skills.

Social and Peer Support

Specialist support groups

Are there specialist support groups or a disabled students network available at the University?

Kingston have a Disabled & Mental Health Student Community. It’s a network within the Students’ Union for students with disabilities.

Clubs and societies

Are there opportunities provided by the institution’s Students Union, Student Support service or Wellbeing service to take part in inclusive and accessible clubs and societies?

Our uGo iGo scheme supports students who want to start a new activity but may not know where to begin.

How does it work?

  • We introduce you to a student activator who lets you know what activities are taking place 
  • You choose an activity and the activator will go with you for the first few sessions

There is so much to get involved in at Kingston University, having somebody by your side will give you that bit of extra support and confidence to try something new.  


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

We have accommodation available to meet individual support requirements. This includes adapted rooms for students with hearing or visual impairments or rooms for students who require wheelchair accessibility. Please note, accommodation is currently only available to full-time students,

Visit the accommodation website for more information about our halls of residences and to take a virtual tour of our accommodation.

Please contact the disability team to discuss any individual requirements you may have for your accommodation.  

Assistive Technology

Does the institution offer a standard level of assistive technology to disabled students?

Students can access the following assistive technology on all university computers on campus:

  • Text Help (text to speech software)
  • ClaroRead (text to speech software)
  • Inspiration (mind mapping software)

Our Assistive Technology Rooms based on each campus have additional software including Dragon (speech to text software) and Jaws (magnifier and screen reader).

We run an information and demonstration session for this software in Induction week. 

We are currently in the process of confirming what software will be available on a remote basis due to Covid-19.  

COVID-19 support

How has your Disability Support offer changed in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? Are in person appointments currently suspended? If prospective applicants would like to register with the Disability Service, how do they go about doing this currently?

We currently offer a hybrid service of both face-to-face and online appointments following the Covid-19 pandemic. 

It is best to email us in the first instance ([email protected]) if you have any specific questions about your individual support requirements. 

Current students can book a drop-in appointment via the ‘MyKingston’ page.

Please email a copy of your medical or diagnostic evidence to us so we can start the process of setting up support and allocating a Disability or Mental Health Advisor to work with you. 

If prospective students would like to speak to an advisor, we can arrange a phone call or a face to face or online meeting. Please email us to request this.