Students walking in front City University of London building.

City, University of London

51.527533275357, -0.10285044881132



Northampton Square

Open Maps

Type of support available

  • Accessible learning space
  • Adapted accomodation
  • Campus tours
  • Specialist knowledge within disability service
  • Support available from academic staff
  • Specialist groups or disabled students network

Advice and Support

Funding for an SpLD assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) support with a Specialist teacher through the University?

There is a designated team of Neurodiversity specialist tutors who support students with an identified SpLD (dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD). Additionally, if you believe you may have a specific learning difference but have not previously received a diagnosis or identification, you can attend a screening with a member of the team. If this identifies possible markers of an SpLD, we can refer you for a full diagnostic assessment. Diagnostic assessments are free for home students but, charged at a fee for international students.

Students with a prior identification of a SpLD must present their diagnostic assessment report as evidence in order to register with the team. Home students are eligible to register for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

There are designated Disability Advisors who support students with a long-term physical condition, visual impairments  or a diagnosed ASD. In order to register with the teams, students are required to bring medical evidence of their disability or health condition to their registration appointment. There is also a designated team of Mental Health Advisors who support students with diagnosed mental health conditions In order to register with the MH Team, students are required to bring medical evidence of their condition to their registration appointment.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University? How do students access this advice and support?

Each School has a designated Student Welfare Officer who works closely with the Neurodiversity and Disability team to support the students’ needs and to ensure that reasonable adjustments are in place.

Staff continuity and understanding individual needs

Are the specialist disability staff in the team able to offer a personalised, bespoke response to a student’s needs? Where possible, is continuity provided for the student in meeting the same Disability Adviser and/or mentor so the student can get to know them over time?

All the specialist disability staff offer a personalised, bespoke response to each student’s needs.

In order to enhance the student experience and to maintain continuity, students are provided with the opportunity to meet with the same SpLD tutor, Disability or Mental Health Advisor.

One to one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

There is a university wide schedule of Welcome events within the university. This has been adapted to cover the first two months of entry. In addition, the university provides a culturally competent counselling service accessible to all new and on-going students at the university. An ambassador and buddy scheme are provided to students via the Student Union and the Widening Participation team. Student Advisors within the student centre are also able to advise students on any matters relating to their start at university.

One to one / group study skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

The university provides a designated Academic Skills team who provide students with 1:1, group and embedded workshops within the Schools.

Social and Peer Support

Specialist support groups

Are there specialist support groups or a disabled students network available at the University?

There is a disabled students network within the SU. However, students may also chose to join specific counselling groups with the counselling service.

Clubs and societies

Are there opportunities provided by the institution’s Students Union, Student Support service or Wellbeing service to take part in inclusive and accessible clubs and societies?

Within the Student Union there are a number of Society’s’ available to students to join alongside the university Sports Centre.


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

Adapted accommodation is available and this can be arranged via the Accommodation team and Disability team. Students’ with disabilities may sometimes be eligible to stay in halls of residence after their first year of undergraduate study, subject to availability, and this should be discussed with a Disability Advisor. Additionally, University of London has a number of adapted rooms.  The rooms are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note these rooms are limited and cater for all the member institutions of the University of London.

Assistive Technology

Does the institution offer a standard level of assistive technology to disabled students?

Students with an identified SpLD can access assistive technology. There are also bookable rooms in the library. In order to gain access to these rooms, students need to be registered with the Neurodiversity or Disability team. Disabled students can also have access to scribes.

COVID-19 support

How has your Disability Support offer changed in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? Are in person appointments currently suspended? If prospective applicants would like to register with the Disability Service, how do they go about doing this currently?

As a result of the pandemic all the support teams have offering 1:1 remote support via MS teams. However, with the easing of restrictions, there is anticipated to be a blended approach to support with some in person appointments being offered. This is all subject to governmental guidelines. (May 2021)